Classical Music in Vienna

>> Thursday 21 May 2009

Vienna, or Wien in German is dubbed to be the 'Capital of Classical Music' in the world. This is where many classical music legends like Hadyn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Strauss, Brahms, etc congregated and produced some of the most recognisable symphonies and glorious chamber works in 19th and early 20th century. Vienna is also home to the Vienna Boys' Choir, which is renowned of their angelic voices and tailor suits and has its origin during the medieval period.

I am not really a great fan of classical music. However, I found myself immersed in the heavenly melodies and truly enjoying it on a very rare occasion - attending the Mozart Concert presented by Vienna Mozart Orchestra at Musikverein concert hall.


We bumped into people dressed like Mozart in historical costume and wig at most tourist spots in Vienna. They are not street entertainers but are employed to sell various concert tickets performing in the city. It was great atmosphere with their presence. :)

We had a hard time having to decide which show to buy between the Vienna Boys' Choir performance at Burgkepelle and Mozart Concert at Musikverein. We eventually chose Musikverein and bought our concert tickets with this Mozart impersonator. He seemed to be very nice and helpful running us through most of the ongoing performances in the city; of course he was since he wanna does business with us. We took the advantage, and snapped another few photos with him. ;)


Attending the more popular concerts at major concert halls was not cheap. As we're already in the Capital of Classical Music, we wanted to experience the best. We chose Musikverein, famous for its superior acoustics and is one of the 3 finest concert halls in the world. Well, that's what the travel books told me. ;) Musikverein was built in the 19th century and is also home to the famous Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. It costed us €42 each for the cheapest seats high up at the balcony at the back!


Arriving at Musikverein in the evening, we were greeted by its stately entrance facade. We were already starting to get excited. Hey, I never imagined I'd ever attend a classical music concert!


When we made our way into the Goldener Saal hall, my jaw dropped having overwhelmed by the elaborate interior decors cladded in golden colours. I have seen the pictures in books and webs but being present in there was quite a different experience. Without further ado, I took out my camera and began snapping before the crowd pulled in. ;p


All of the performers were dressed in historical costume and wig. Sometimes I wonder was that the best hairstyle available in the 19th century. Imagine music legends like Johannes Brahms once performed at this very same stage!

The violins and all other musical instruments roared. I must say that's probably one of the best live music I've ever heard in my entire life. There was no microphone nor any modern sound system but the sounds and voices of the orchestra was clearly audible and vibrated across the hall from front to back. I fell in love with classical music, for 2 hours. ;p


I might not have the chance to attend another great classical music concert, but I certainly would not hesitate to recommend any visitors to Vienna to experience Haydn's, Mozart's or Strauss' music concerts.

0 comments: